Department of Social Science education
It is my pleasure to welcome everyone to our revered department. The department is made up of two programmes, namely:
- Economics Education
- Geography Education
The various programmes are manned by well qualified staff in the Faculty of Education and Social Science. We offer opportunities to our undergraduate students who are outstanding in their performance under students work experience scheme and also opportunities to our graduates who are outstanding in their performance. In line with our vision and mission, we aim at producing the best educators with the knowledge, skills, and dispositions to contribute to a better society. The department of Social Science Education is ready to serve you and provide you a future that is enduring and prospective. Let me assure you also that the department proposes an exchange programme with other universities in the world for partnership in scholarship and research endeavors. Aside from academics, there is a plan that will provide opportunities for town and gown experience which will expose students to wider work touch in real life situation for lifelong living. With these wonderful opportunities inherent, the department advices prospective candidates to key into this vision for a better life after school.
The department of Social Science Education was set up in November 2018 by the then Vice-Chancellor, Professor Micheal Adikwu, when the senate of the University of Abuja approved its establishment. The department was created from the then department of Arts and Social Science Education. The department took off with Dr. E. I. V. Iorliam as the Pioneer Head of Department. The department is made up of two programmes, namely:
- Economics Education
- Geography Education
- Through courses in Economics Education and Geography Education, the department strives to give students the social science knowledge and skills that promote an interdisciplinary understanding of human society and the natural world.
- To develop capable citizens who are empowered with the knowledge, skills, and attitudes to make informed and responsible decisions in a diverse and interdependent world.
- We endeavour to serve the University and the community as a source of social science information in addressing matters of mutual concern.
- To support and guide students through the process of identifying and reaching their educational goals and direct students to the institutional resources that will support their success.
- To actively promote scholarship that fosters academic excellence, collaboration, innovative active inquiry methods, and excellence in teaching that engage, motivate and inspire students to think critically, feel deeply, communicate effectively and act responsibly to meet the challenges of an increasingly complex, technological, diverse and threatened world.
Our mission is to prepare learner-sensitive educators with the knowledge, skills, and dispositions to contribute to a better society.
- Goals here
Programmes in the Department
The department as at present houses two undergraduate programmes;
- Economics Education
- Geography Education
- Candidates seeking admission into B. Sc. (Ed) Economics must satisfy the following.
- Candidates seeking admission into B. Sc (Ed) Geography must satisfy the following.
A minimum of five (5) credits at NECO, SSCE, NABTEP including English, Mathematics and Economics at O’level. A minimum cut off score at UTME Direct Entry
A minimum of 10 points scored at Nigerian Certificate in Education having studied Economics as one of the courses. A credit pass in relevant National Diploma from a recognized institution and four (4) O’level credit pass in relevant subjects including English, Mathematics and Economics. Interim Joint Matriculation Board (IJMB) with pass in three (3) relevant subjects and four (4) relevant O’ level subject including English, Mathematics and Economics.
A minimum cut off score at UTME
A minimum of 10 points score at Nigerian Certificate in Education having studied Geography at one of the courses. A credit pass in relevant National Diploma from a recognized institution and four (4) O’level credit pass in relevant subjects including English, Mathematics and Geography. Interim Joint Matriculation Board (IJMB) with pass in three (3) relevant subjects and four (4) relevant O’ level subject including English, Mathematics and Geography.
The University operates a course credit system. Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) is calculated for each student. The minimum requirements for graduation in a degree programme is Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) of 1.5 if there is no any outstanding/carry over courses.
The department enjoys good rapport with the servicing departments and other sister departments in the Faculty which permits for shared usage of facilities and are as follows:
- Education Resource Centre
- Mini Library
- Main Library
- Econometrics Lab
- Physical Geography Laboratory
- Metrological Station
- Geography Information System (GIS) Centre
- Lecture halls
The programme is essentially designed to develop students’ ability to have an in-depth knowledge and understanding of Economics, its roots, teachings, history, growth and development.
The programme is also to produce graduate teachers with in-depth knowledge of Economics who can teach same to students. The course seeks to produce teachers with professional competence to teach Economics at both secondary and tertiary levels of education.
Aim and Objectives
The aims and objectives of the B.Sc. (Ed) Economics Programme in the University of Abuja are:
- to provide pre-service training for teachers to enable them acquire a working knowledge and competency in the philosophical, sociological, and psychological foundations of education which can be used as a basis for decision making, instructional design and educational planning;
- to develop in pre-service teachers an understanding of how humans grow and develop. This understanding includes the theoretical basis
- for development and how this relates to teaching and learning; to provide cognitive, affective and psychomotor learning in communication, problem solving, values clarification, social institutions, science, technology and the arts;
- to develop teaching expertise in Economics education that includes both breadth and depth in subject matter, methods, techniques, skills for teaching Economics education;
- to develop instructional plans, strategies and assessments basic to meeting individual needs of students that may be evident in cultural diversity, values clarification, and mental and physical exceptionalities;
- to acquire the effective use of various classroom management systems and to develop an awareness of the strong relationship between classroom management practices and teaching effectiveness;
- to provide pre-service training for teachers to teach Economics at both the Senior Secondary School levels and at the tertiary level;
- to produce lower level academic staff for Colleges of Education and Polytechnics;
- to produce school administrators for the education system;
- to produce teachers to be active, creative, and constructive participants in Nigeria’s democratic instructions and who are highly motivated and dedicated to the development of the teaching profession.
Geography is a discipline which aims at understanding the differential character of the earth’s surface. It is concerned primarily with the study of man’s physical and socio-spatial environment, their elements and structure and how they function and interact with man.
The broad philosophy of Geography at University of Abuja is the application of scientific method, technique and knowledge of geography towards tackling major environmental and development problems especially in Nigeria. The B.Sc. (Ed) Geography degree programme is designed to give a well-rounded knowledge of geography to students, such as would meet the requirements of liberal education. It is also aimed at producing graduates with a wide range of skills and abilities to be able to identify social problems to which these skills can be applied.
The programme aims at developing the students’ capacities for imaginative and self-confident application of skills to obtain desirable and viable solutions to human problems and effective participation in the planning and management of the physical and socio-spatial environment. The B.Sc. (Ed) Geography graduate should also be able to teach these knowledge and competence in secondary schools and colleges.
Aims and Objectives
At the end of the programme, students should be able to:
- acquaint themselves with the living conditions of people in different parts of the globe;
- acquire knowledge of natural resources;
- develop understanding of how environment and climatic factors have influenced our life;
- acquire knowledge of their physical and social environment to broaden their outlook;
- develop the skills of reading maps and, globes, to develop drawing and measuring skills, and to develop the skill of using and manipulating geographical Instruments;
- acquire economic efficiency and lead a successful life;
- develop the power of thinking, reasoning, memory and power of imagination, and how to participate in national development;
- be competent enough to teach and develop in learners the above skills and competencies.
University of Abuja, especially Department of Social Science education enjoys a lot of goodwill from employers of our products. Their testimonies are mouthwatering which you can also attest to, there is a popular saying that the test of the pudding is in the eating.
In Social Science Education Department, most lecturers are drawn from service department substantially. As for the methods, the lecturers are from the faculty of education. They are well qualified in their areas of specialization. A good number of these lecturers are holders of Doctorate of Philosophy. The department is so excited and fortunate to have this caliber of teachers most of whom have international connections and experience.
The department encourages inter disciplinary research endeavours amongst lecturers and students. Before graduation, Geography Education students are mandated to undertake field studies as a requirement for graduation. Such experiences provide on the spot exposure for interaction with spatial environment which is a marriage between theory and practice.
With the strength the department enjoys in terms of human capital, our students are encouraged to contribute immensely to the realization of our aims and objectives. As a teacher development outfit which aims at producing teachers for the 21st century students no stone will be left unturned so as to maintain standard and discipline oriented products.