About The Department of Animal Science
Prof. O.A. Olafadehan
Head of Department, Animal Science
To develop programmes as well as routine update in the area of Animal Science, Animal Products, Agricultural Biochemistry and Nutrition, Food Science and Technology, Agricultural Chemistry and Biochemistry, and Specialist extension and Mini livestock conservation.
When the establishment of a faculty of Agriculture was approved by the Senate of the University of Abuja on 11th October, 2004. The Faculty comprises of the Departments of Agricultural Economics and Extension; Animal Science; Crop Science; Soil Science; Food and Nutrition Science; and Water Resources, Aquaculture and Fisheries.Department of Animal Science was established and started it first session in 2005/06..
To develop as a Department of Animal Science that will excel in the field of Animal Production and Nutrition, Mini Livestock Conservation, Food Science and Technology, Agricultural Biochemistry and Nutrition, Animal Breeding and Genetics, Tropic Animal Physiology and Sustainable Feed Resources, and Animal Health through Teaching, Research, Consultancies and extension and effective collaboration with consequent benefit of humanity.
To enhance the quality of human life, through developing Animal and Food Science to ensure the sustainability of production systems and to conserve the natural resources, animals and environment for future generations. And to inform Public Understanding as well as cooperation with other Institutions with the aim of blossoming as a world referral centre in our various specialties.
- To develop programmes as well as routine update in the area of Animal Science, Animal Products, Agricultural Biochemistry and Nutrition, Food Science and Technology, Agricultural Chemistry and Biochemistry, and Specialist extension and Mini livestock conservation.
- To turn out production-oriented graduates in our field through practical oriented and, local and international relevance, capacity building and training.
- To produce personnel who capable of teaching initiating and conducting environmentally relevant and sustainable researches.
- To produce graduates for both public and private sectors, as well as proud entrepreneurs.
- To produce extension workers, to organize extension linkages and activities. Organize August Short term schools, gender studies in our field and collaborations including on-farm, on-village on-urban adaptive researches.
- To conduct research in various aspects of our field including collaborations and external linkages.
- Engage in local and international related shows, exhibitions, exchanges, programmes and academic linkages.
- To conduct specialized, systematic, purposeful and meaningful research in livestock waste products conservation.
- To provide a forum for the discussion of scientific, social and educational problems relevant to the development of animal production and health, food Science and Technology, Agric Biochemistry and Nutrition, among others.
- To establish a Documentation Centre and data bank on tropical Animal Science.
- To do all such things that are incidental or conductive to the above objectives directly , and conductive to, or incident to the attainment of the above objectives including the relevancies emanating from human civilization dynamics and Alumni relations.